Are you familiar with mobile keywords? It’s a term that may not be familiar, but mobile keywords are extremely important for the success of your text-to-win campaign. Here’s a breakdown of how you can use them to brand your business when texting.
First, What Are Mobile or SMS Keywords?
A mobile keyword, also called an SMS keyword, is a short word with letters and/or numbers that is sent in a text message to a short code (a 5-digit phone number). It not only brands and identifies your business, it also triggers a response from the mobile texting platform.
For example, let’s say the keyword for your business is TYKETOYS. To signup, a subscriber would text your keyword (TYKETOYS) to our short code, which is 65047. They would then get an automatic return text confirming their subscription.
This keyword also brands and identifies your business when you send out text messages, since each message is prefaced with your keyword.
Here’s an example of a message: “TYKETOYS: Make the most of spring with our outdoor toys! Get 15% off with coupon code SPRING15.”
Keywords serve a dual purpose: to allow someone to subscribe or opt-in automatically and to identify your business.
Choosing Mobile Keywords
You won’t be able to change your keyword easily, so it’s best to choose one carefully. Any changes to the keyword could cause confusion and derail your campaign.
Keep these tips in mind when you select mobile keywords for your text-to-win:
- Make the keyword easy to remember by relating it to your business name or product.
- Make sure the keyword is as short as possible and one word only (no spaces).
- Use proper spelling and don’t try to invent new words.
- Avoid special characters, including symbols.
Promote Your Branded Keyword
Once you’ve chosen the right keyword, why not use it to promote your brand and your sweepstakes? Here are a few ways to promote your campaign and your business with your mobile keyword:
- Print it on promotional items and apparel. For a creative push and fashionable branding, feature your mobile keyword on t-shirts, baseball caps, apparel and promotional. Think of them as conversation starters that can attract new customers to your text-to-win.
- Do you have company vehicles? Brand them with not only your logo and information, but with your keyword as well. Used this way, your keyword will be truly mobile and can be another avenue to increase subscribers.
- Online promotion via social media and video. Promote your mobile keywords online via multiple channels, such as social media and digital video advertising. The best way to boost participation is to make sure your message is seen by as many people as possible.
Using mobile keywords to brand your business is a simple way to increase the effectiveness of a text-to-win campaign. Getting new subscribers and potential customers into your pipeline is the ultimate reward for using mobile keywords!
Reserve your mobile keyword today to get started with a text-to-win campaign. Contact us or call us at (305) 505-5393 for help.