Watch Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPgSwwHHXpY
Lately we have been asked to help set up and manage Facebook sweepstakes. Our clients are putting in a lot of time and money into social media and they want to see their efforts produce results. Facebook contests and sweepstakes are a great promotional tactic that helps engage and increase fans.
Benefits of a Facebook Sweepstake or Contest
- Likes – Yes, the almighty top-level metric and warm blanket of congeniality for brands. A sweepstake or promotion will attract more of your target market to “Like” your page. You can offer the sweepstakes or contests to all current fans and new fans must “Like” your page to enter. The goal here is that once they “Like” you, your posts will appear in their news feeds. This offers a chance for re-engagement with your brand during and after the promotion.
- Emails – You can get richer profile information on your fans by asking for email, date of birth, gender, address, zip code, mobile phone or other information as part of the entry form. This is also an opportunity to ask research or poll questions.
- Engagement – All brands want customers speaking positively about them and to them. Watching metrics like post consumption, link clicks and positive feedback will allow you to measure how well you’re doing in this area. By increasing engagement, you’ll also push your page updates to more fans, increase awareness, and rank higher in graph search (Facebook’s search engine).
- User-Generated Content – A photo, video or story contest will produce valuable content created by fans. This is the kind of content that fans love to share with their friends. They are proud of their pictures and stories and want to tell their friends about them. In return, your brand reaches new audiences through loyal fan ambassadors.
- Market Research – We recently asked Pet Supermarket fans to “Tell Us What You Love About Your Pet” as the sweepstakes entry. The answers were moving, funny, sometimes sad, but mostly endearing. People love their pets and love talking about them. The most interesting result was that this promotion helped us better understand Pet Supermarket customers and hear their feelings behind their relationships with their pets. These sentiments can be used later to refine the way Pet Supermarket presents its messages to customers. Think of entries as valuable market intelligence and potential ads for your brand written by customers.
No Goals, No Glory
Before you start, set your goals. How do you know you had a successful Facebook sweepstakes if you don’t know the end goal? Goals will also help you plan your sweepstakes and determine how big the prize (incentive) and promotional effort should be. Goals can include:
- Increase in total Likes by X% of current fans
- Increase in new emails by X% of current database
- Increase engagement or awareness
Types of Facebook Promotions
Sweepstakes – The simplest and most popular, this type of promotion collects all eligible entries and selects a winner(s) randomly. Sweepstakes usually get the most participants because they are easy to enter. Just fill out the entry form and you’re in. If gaining “Likes” or increasing your email database is the objective, sweeps are a good choice.
Contests – These require that participants present some skill within the required contest guidelines. Participants compete against each other and/or within a judging criteria. For example, a simple contest can ask participants to add a photo caption to a photo you provide or it can ask entrants to show the best picture of a sunset. The barrier to entry is higher than a sweepstakes (make sure you have a good number of fans before starting), but engagement is also higher if that’s your goal. In a contest, you’ll also need to decide how you’ll choose the winner. This article on judging and choosing a winner will help.
If you’re going to set up a Facebook promotion, give the new Facebook guidelines a look to ensure you’re compliant with their rules. If you need any help, let us know.