Our hearts go out to those affected by Hurricane Sandy. Thankfully, there are many relief efforts underway. Many are supported by donations (see links to donate below) and some, like the Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund, are even using mobile technology to get text message donations quickly and easily.
If you’re a non-profit organization or a small business supporting a cause, you can easily create your own text message donation program as well.
Set up a Donors Mobile Campaign
Here’s how it works:
- Ask donors to give a donation by sending a text with your new keyword to 65047.
- An automatic response can be set to thank donors and link them to a mobile optimized credit card processing form to complete the donation.
- The donations are then transferred to the organization.
We realize it’s a little extra work to have donors complete a credit card from instead of automatically charging the donation on the mobile phone bill. But the auto billing system is costly for small organizations, the organization needs to be a large national charity and requires a year-long contract.
Advantages of our mobile donations system
Our mobile donations campaign offers a few advantages…
- You can collect donations of more than $10 (the max limit for donations billed through cell phone carriers).
- You can collect additional information such as name, mobile phone, address and email as part of the transaction.
- It’s easy to promote this campaign in ads, TV or radio.
- It’s easier for donors to pledge while they’re away from home or their computers.
- You’ll have a mobile list of donors you can contact later—to thank them, announce you’ve reached your goal, etc.
We sincerely hope nonprofits and charities take advantage of mobile technology to support their causes. If you’re a member of such a group, contact us. We’d be happy to work with you to get started.
To send your own donation to relief efforts visit…
Red Cross Disaster Relief
(Or send a text with REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10)